There’s a good reason why color selection is challenging. Color isn’t the property of an object. Color is light, and it changes all the time. Many things influence these changes, including the time of day, the type of lighting, the effect of neighboring colors and numerous other factors. That’s why the color that you liked in a friend’s house, or on the Internet, or in a magazine, won’t look the same in your house.
For a painting project to be successful, you not only need to find colors that will work in your house, you need to know where to put them. Professional guidance can help you add beauty and value to your house, while avoiding costly color mistakes.
Color Consultants: What They Do and How They Can Help You
When you call a color consultant for an interior or exterior paint color consultation, you're enlisting the help of a professional with a trained eye, knowledge of how to use color effectively and practical experience with what works, and what doesn't. Color consultants have different backgrounds and may not work the same way, but here's a list of the basic things I do:
- Analyze the architecture of your house.
- Analyze the design and layout for the best approach to color selection and placement, including where interior color needs to stop and start in open concept plans.
- Analyze colors in floors, tile, carpeting, counter tops, pre-finished items, stone, etc. to be certain paint colors will harmonize.
- Analyze the details of the house to determine which should be accented, which should be camouflaged.
- Consider the effects of natural and artificial lighting.
- Determine if color could address design issues.
- Analyze your belongings to be certain the key pieces will coordinate well with the paint colors.
- Recommend a palette of paint colors and sheens, including historic colors, if appropriate.
- Suggest features that could receive special decorative treatment, if desired.
- Recommend additional ways to make your house look its best, including cosmetic repairs.
Many of the items on this list apply to both interior and exterior projects.
What Does it Cost?
I charge $225 to do a two hour on-site color consultation with samples, and will often be able to help you with other design issues while I'm there. Depending on your location, a travel charge may apply. For an on-line consultation, call or write to me and tell me about your project.
When you consider what it costs to repaint after you pick the wrong color, and still not be sure you've chosen well, a color consultation is a bargain.
Benefits of a Consultation
For a more beautiful home with attractive, harmonious colors, get a paint color consultation. You'll create a space that you'll enjoy living in, and feel proud to share, and you'll add to the value and marketability of the house when it's time to sell.
To Arrange A Consultation with Sandy
Call me: 828-692-4355
Write to me: Sandy@SterlingPropertyService.com