If you plan to sell your house, don’t be discouraged by market conditions! Take charge of the selling process and apply these Smart Selling ideas to improve your prospects for a successful outcome:
Preparing To Sell
- Enlist the support of the entire family and make a full commitment to selling.
- Prepare to compete by looking at houses on the market in your anticipated price range. How does your house compare?
- Have a pre-listing home inspection and make any recommended repairs.
- Consult with a professional stager about ways to make your house appeal to most buyers. Implement basic recommendations yourself and get help as needed.
- Have the stager return for final staging, including placement of furniture and accessories. (Don’t be tempted to skip this step!)
- Contact REALTOR®s after your house is completely prepared for sale and ready to be photographed.
- Your REALTOR® will research houses comparable with yours, including current listings, recent sales and withdrawn listings. Use this knowledge for a reality check to determine your pricing strategy.
- Price your house realistically from day one. Listen to your REALTOR®’s pricing advice.
- Participate in picture-taking and carefully compose every shot to show key features at their best.
- Make the most of the first 30-45 days on the market. This is your best chance to sell at or near your initial listing price.
- Discuss the feedback your REALTOR® is getting and be willing to make changes.
- Use the power of the internet and social media. In addition to your REALTOR®’s web site and her company’s web site, be sure your house is listed on other real estate sites, including REALTOR.com®, Trulia, craigslist.com, etc. Create a facebook page for your house.
- Continue to monitor the competition and be prepared to adapt your strategy.
- Update the list of comparable properties and consider a price reduction if there is little activity after 45 days.
- Have your accessories reflect the season and keep your house looking fresh.
- Make the house available for showings when requested – even if inconvenient.
- Create a showing checklist to be certain the house is ready for visitors and give everyone a job.
- Maintain the inside and outside of the house in showing condition.
- Have a flexible attitude and a sense of humor.
Smart Selling Tip: Take charge of the selling process and apply Smart Selling ideas to improve your prospects for a successful outcome in any market.
©2012 Sandy LeRoy and Mary Stephens